When the time comes to add a new building to your property, you’ll have a few important decisions to make. Specifically, one of the first choices you’ll face is what type of structure you’d like. Two popular options are carports and garages—but which is right for your property? Read on to help you decide on the building that will best meet your needs.
American Carports, Inc. has a variety of steel carports and garages that are affordable, durable, and fully customizable. Use our Build & Price Tool to explore the many possibilities for your new structure, view a 3D rendering, and receive an instant quote!
What’s the Difference?
- A carport is an open-side structure that features a roof and four legs. While it’s possible to add one or more walls to your carport when you work with American Carports, Inc., most people think of a carport as a completely open-sided structure. Shop Now.
- A garage is an enclosed structure, with four walls to go along with a roof. Typically, a garage will have at least one roll-up door, if not more. Adding a detached metal garage to your property would provide additional enclosed space beyond what is available in your home or other existing buildings. Shop Now.
Advantages of a Carport
These are some of the main benefits to choosing a carport for your property:
- Easy in and out. If you’re looking to add covered parking to your property, nothing gets the job done more efficiently than a carport. You won’t have a door to deal with, and the wide opening at the front makes it easy to pull your vehicles in and out.
- Low cost. Since a traditional carport is a relatively minimalist structure, the cost remains rather low for the completed project. Metal garages are also affordable buildings compared to wood structures, but they do cost more than a basic carport.
- Simple construction. Given the straightforward design of a metal carport, the construction process is quick and easy in almost every case.
Advantages of a Garage
These are some of the main benefits to choosing a garage for your property:
- More versatile space. An open-side carport will provide shelter from rain and snow, but it is still open to the elements. With a garage, you gain complete enclosure and you’ll be able to work on more projects and store more items as a result.
- Long-term storage. You may not want to store a vehicle or other equipment under a carport over the long term—especially through the winter. But that would work just fine in a garage.
- Adapt over time. Even if you only want this new building for parking at the moment, your needs may change, and a garage will be more able to grow with you.
There isn’t a bad option here, as both carports and garages have a lot to offer. Only one is right for your needs, however, so it’s important to take your time to consider all factors before placing an order.
Beyond your own needs, there’s also the value of your property to consider as part of this equation. Generally speaking, building a garage as opposed to a carport is going to add more value, since it’s a more versatile structure. While some buyers are sure to be drawn to the presence of a carport and the benefits it provides, there are even more benefits associated with a sturdy, detached metal garage. If you can afford to purchase the garage, and it will work properly for your needs, going in that direction may offer a nice boost to the overall value of your property when it’s time to sell.
Purchase a Quality Carport or Garage from American Carports, Inc.!
We hope you have a better idea of whether a carport or garage is right for your property. It’s wise to spend some time deciding, as this is a building that you want to stand on your property for years to come. No matter which structure you choose, when you order from American Carports, Inc., you’ll receive a high-quality project that is guaranteed to stand the test of time.
Use our Build & Price Tool to explore the many possibilities for your new structure, view a 3D rendering, and receive an instant quote. Place your order today and our team will get to work making your vision come to life!