A moped is a great way to get around a neighborhood or town. Without the size or power of a motorcycle, a moped offers many of the same conveniences without the learning curve. If you already own a moped or are thinking of buying one soon, storage should be one of your top considerations.
An ideal solution for moped storage is to have a building on your property that can house the moped when it is not in use. This will keep it out of the elements and help to maintain its condition over the long run. American Carports is here to help you find and build your ideal carport and moped storage.
Consider the Best Protection for Your Moped
Security is important to keep in mind, but your biggest concern should be keeping your moped away from the elements. No matter where you live, weather and the outdoor environment can cause destruction to your vehicle over time, harming the condition of your moped and shortening its useful life. It’s easy to underestimate the threat weather presents.
Yes, mopeds are made to ride outside, but they are not necessarily meant to live outside. Some potential problems that can arise from outdoor storage include:
- Damage to materials. Constant exposure to the elements is likely to damage some of the materials used to make your moped. Specifically, the condition of the seat and the handles could deteriorate thanks to rain, snow, hot sun, and more.
- Tipping over. Mopeds are small, light vehicles, and that compact design is certainly a big part of their appeal. However, a strong wind does have the potential to knock over one of these scooters, especially if the wind blows the moped in the opposite direction of its stand.
- Battery drain. This is a concern mostly for those living in cold winter climates. If your moped lives outside through a cold winter, the battery may be dead if you don’t use the moped for a period of weeks or months.
If possible, it’s a big benefit to protect your moped from the weather while it is stored. It might take some extra work at the start to setup this kind of storage environment, but it will pay off many times over in the long run.
Covered Storage Possibilities
It’s easy to understand that storing your moped out of the weather is a good idea. But what will that look like? There are plenty of options to consider, and each comes with some pros and cons.
- Use a tarp or cover. Perhaps the simplest option is to park your moped outside and protect it with a tarp or a cover made specifically for the moped. This option is better than nothing, but not by much. It’s likely that moisture will still get to the scooter from below, and strong winds will still be a threat.
- Carport or lean-to. At American Carports, Inc., we offer carports and lean-tos as metal building options. This is a huge upgrade from using a tarp or cover, as you’ll have great protection from any precipitation that falls throughout the year. With a roof over your moped, it will stay dry and will be ready for you to hop on at any time. Wind can still be an issue here, but this is a strong storage option depending on your circumstances.
- An enclosed garage. The ultimate moped storage solution is to park it inside a garage. If you don’t have an attached garage in your home, or if that garage is full, a detached metal version is an excellent alternative. This option will give your moped full protection from all the elements, and you’ll even have someplace comfortable to perform maintenance and repairs on the scooter.
Order a Storage Shed, Carport, or Garage Today
No matter what type of metal building you decide will work best for your moped storage needs, American Carports, Inc. is here to serve you. With affordable pricing, durable materials, and easy customization, this project will be a success from start to finish. You can even use our Build & Price tool to easily create a custom structure that perfectly serves your need. Place your order today or contact us for assistance.